Dr. Allan Wulc, MD FACS
Dr. Allan Wulc, MD, FACS has more than 25 years’ experience in cosmetic and plastic surgery. His practice includes everything from eye lifts and facelifts, to laser treatments, chemical peels, BOTOX®, and much more. Dr. Wulc is quadruple board-certified in cosmetic and plastic surgery, ophthalmology, and oculoplastic surgery. He is also a diplomate of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons. He is the only surgeon in the tri-state area with these qualifications. As a leader in his field, and pioneer of new surgical techniques, he has led lectures, presentations, and written countless publications about his work.
Dr. Wulc was born and raised in the Philadelphia area and graduated Summa Cum Laude from Amherst College. His background is in the arts and humanities. Dr. Wulc spent part of his undergraduate studies in Paris, where he studied painting and sculpture at the Ecole des Beaux Arts, literature at the Sorbonne, and piano performance at the Ecole Normale de Musique.
Dr. Wulc received his M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia, and trained in Ophthalmology at the Scheie Eye Institute of the University of Pennsylvania. After residency, he was awarded a fellowship in Cosmetic Surgery, and Eye and Facial Plastic Surgery at the University of Arizona. Following this fellowship, he completed a year-long fellowship in super subspecialized training in plastic surgery of the orbit (facial skeleton and orbital contents) at the University of London, Moorfields Eye Hospital. He then completed a third fellowship in Cosmetic Surgery at the Advanced Plastic Surgery Centre in Melbourne, Florida. Dr. Wulc spent ten years in academics at the University of Pennsylvania, and was appointed Director of the Eye Plastic and Orbital Service of the Scheie Eye Institute and the University of Pennsylvania. He was promoted to Associate Professor in 1994.
In 1996, Dr. Wulc left the University of Pennsylvania to pursue private practice in the Philadelphia area, while retaining and gaining supplementary academic affiliations. In addition to his private practice, Dr. Wulc is on the teaching faculty at the University of Pennsylvania and at Temple University. He has trained residents and fellows internationally.
Specialties and Skills
Dr. Wulc has authored over 40 papers in his specialty and has written many chapters in authoritative texts on plastic surgery. He is one of the original researchers involved in the FDA study of Botox® and was one of the first to publish a study on its use for cosmetic purposes. He has taught Botox® injection techniques and filler injection techniques throughout the United States and is renowned for his abilities as an aesthetic facial cosmetic surgeon.
He is particularly interested in repairing changes associated with aging around the face and eyelids, surgery for thyroid eye disease, and correcting problems caused by other cosmetic surgeons and non-surgeons. He has won the prestigious Marvin Quickert Award for Excellence in Eye and Facial Plastic Surgery Research. He remains actively involved in plastic surgery research projects and clinical trials, continues to publish and present at national meetings, and has several patents for small incision face-lifting devices and techniques. Dr. Wulc comes from two generations of artists.
Dr. Wulc’s father, Stanley, was an exhibited photographer and painter whose work has been reviewed favorably in Connoisseur Magazine and the New York Times. From a very early age, Dr. Wulc was indoctrinated in the style of the Renaissance masters and educated in drawing, painting, and sculpture by his father and grandfather. Dr. Wulc continues to draw and paint and feels that the greatest body of his artistic work is seen not on his canvases, but on the faces of his patients.
- 1968-72 William Penn Charter School
- 1972-76 B.A. Amherst College
- 1974 Harvard University Summer School
- 1974-75 Sweet Briar Junior Year in France
- 1976-80 M.D. University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- 1980-1981 Internship in Medicine (Abington)
- 1981-1984 Residency, Ophthalmology (Scheie)
- 1984-1985 Fellowship, Eye Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
- 1985-1986 Fellowship, Orbital and Lacrimal Surgery, Moorfields Eye Hospital
University of London, London, United Kingdom
- 2000-2002 Fellowship, General Cosmetic Surgery, Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Center, Melbourne, Florida
- 1981-1984 Assistant Instructor, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine
- 1984-1986 Clinical Fellow, Scheie Eye Institute, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine
- 1984-1985 Assistant Instructor, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Arizona
- 1986-1989 Assistant Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, Scheie Eye Institute
University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine
- 1989-1996 Chief, Oculoplastic Service, Chief, Orbital Service, Scheie Eye Institute
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- 1995-1996 Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania
- 1996-2016 Clinical Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology, Drexel University
- 1996-Present Clinical Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania
- 2007- Associate Preceptor Oculoplastic Fellowship, Albany Medical College
- American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS)
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS)
- Fellowship of the American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Ramesh S, Fiaschetti D, Goldberg RA. Orbital and Ocular Ischemic Syndrome With Blindness After Facial Filler Injection. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018 Jul/Aug; 34(4):e108-110.
- Ramesh S, Nobori A, Wang Y, Rootman D, Goldberg RA. Orbital Expansion into Cranial Vault After Minimally Invasive Extradural Transorbital Decompression for Thyroid Orbitopathy. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018 Jun 6.
- Ramesh S, Eichhorn K, Leibowitz S, Goldberg RA. Bony Regrowth After Deep Lateral Orbital Decompression. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018 Jan 25.
- Ramesh S, Hubschman S, Goldberg RA. Resorbable Implants for Orbital Reconstruction: A Systematic Review. Ann Plast Surg. 2018 Sep;81(3):372-379.
- Ramesh S, Bokman C, Mustak H, Lo C, Goldberg RA, Rootman DB. Medial Buttressing in Orbital Fractures. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018 Jan 12.
- Ramesh S, Gupta A, Rootman DB, Goldberg RA. Long-term Follow-up of Lateral Canthal Resuspension. Asia Pac J Ophthalmol (Phila). 2018 Feb 26.
- Ramesh S, Goldberg RA, Rootman DB. Spontaneous Resolution of Optic Neuropathy in Sphenoid Wing Meningioma. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017 Jun 2.
- Ramesh S, Mancini R. Dynamic Analysis of Muller’s Muscle Response to Phenylephrine. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Jan-Feb;32(1):46-8.
- Ramesh S, Sobti D, Mancini R. Eyelid Necrosis and Secondary Cicatrical Ectropion Secondary to Levamisole-Associated Vasculitis. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Sep 21.
- Ramesh S, Papayannis A, Abdel-karim AR, Banerjee S, Brilakis E. In vivo comparison of Fourier-domain optical coherence tomography and intravascular ultrasonography. J Invasive Cardiol. 2012 Mar;24(3):111-5.
- Ramesh S, Goldberg RA. East Asian Superior Sulcus Rejuvenation. ASOPRS Fall Symposium 2018, Chicago, IL.
- Ramesh S, Wulc A, Brackup A, Goldberg RA. Lower Lid Blepharoplasty with and withoutFat Repositioning. ASOPRS Fall Symposium 2018, Chicago, IL.
- Ramesh S, Fiaschetti D, Goldberg RA. Orbital and ocular ischemic syndrome with blindnessafter facial filler injection. ASOPRS Spring Symposium 2018, Austin, TX.
- Ramesh S, Goldberg RA, Rootman DB. Spontaneous Resolution of Optic Neuropathy inSphenoid Wing Meningioma. ASOPRS Spring Symposium 2018, Austin, TX.
- Ramesh S. Microptosis in revisional eyelid surgery. Cosmetic Surgery Forum 2017, Las Vegas, NV.
- Ramesh S, Boxrud C, Burkat C. Periocular Rejuvenation with Botulinum Toxin/Fillers. AAO Fall 2017, New Orleans, LA.
- Liu W, Ramesh S, Goldberg RA, Duckwiler G, Rootman DB. Intraoperative Valsalva Assistance for Managementof Orbital Distensible Venous Malformations. ASOPRS Fall Symposium 2017, New Orleans, LA.
- Ramesh S, Bokman C, Goldberg RA, Rootman DB. Medial Buttressing in OrbitalFractures. Poster at ASOPRS Fall Symposium 2017, New Orleans, LA.
- Garg, EC, Ramesh S. Botulinum Toxin as a Nonsurgical Alternative for Ptosis. Cosmetic Surgery Forum, Nov 2017, Las Vegas, NV.
- Bokman C, Ramesh S. Microptosis repair with fat decompression for mild thyroidorbitopathy. Cosmetic Surgery Forum, Nov 2017, Las Vegas, NV.
- Badran KW, Ference EH, Ramesh S, Suh JD. Combined multiportal transorbital and transnasal endoscopic resection of a pediatricfibro-osseous tumor: report and review of the literature. American Rhinologic Society Fall Symposium 2017, Chicago, IL.
- Ramesh S, Gupta A, Rootman D, Goldberg R. Long-term Follow-up of Lateral CanthalResuspension. ESOPRS Fall Symposium 2017, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Ramesh S, Itani K, Mancini R. The Effect of Long-term Prostaglandins in Thyroid-Associated Ophthalmopathy. ASOPRS Fall Symposium 2016, Chicago, IL.
- Ramesh S, Mancini R. Dynamic Analysis of Muller’s Muscle Response to Phenylephrine.Poster at ASOPRS Fall Symposium 2014, Chicago, IL.
- Ramesh S, Huerta S, MD, Siddiqui A, MD, Livingston E, MD, Huerta-Yepez S, PhD. Apoptosis-inducing Factorin Colorectal Cancer. Undergraduate Thesis at UT Arlington Honors College, Arlington, TX, Dec 2007.
- Ramesh S, Valle B, PhD, Richards-Kortum R, PhD. Monitoring Apoptosis with Annexin Conjugates. CBEN, Houston, TX, June 2006.